[Nhcoll-l] no-data archaeological material

Elaine Hughes ehughes at musnaz.org
Thu Oct 5 13:21:47 EDT 2017

Hi Peter,

The term, artifact, has traditionally been used for decades by archaeologists to describe objects recovered from an archaeological site. The object can be a whole artifact (bead), part of an artifact (potsherds), residue from artifact production (lithic debitage), ecofacts (pollen samples), or a whole range of other types of artifacts.

An artifact can be an isolated find such as a projectile point found on the surface and not in association with an archaeological site, or an artifact removed from the surface of an archaeological site, or artifacts removed by excavation or “digging” of an archaeological site.

An artifact with no data is an object that has lost information on where it is from. Often these will be artifacts removed by the public from any of the contexts above.  Frequently they, or their children, no longer remember from where the artifact(s) originated, so the artifacts have no provenience, or no locational or context data associated with them.

If it’s a Clovis point then the artifact has some research value because they are so rare. If it’s a plain ware potsherd or animal bone, the use is minimal.  Why? Because an archaeologist can recover thousands of artifacts and ecofacts (pollen samples, cooked faunal bone, flotation samples) from one site.  Why would a researcher spend their time on common artifacts with no provenience data when they can research artifacts with a lot of locational data?

When a private donor says “my grandfather collected these in the 1920s while on a vacation, but I have no idea where on Earth he was”, a museum has to weigh this against several factors.  Is it rare: can it be used for research, exhibit or education purposes; will it take up much storage space.

If it’s a mano, metate, pestle, or mortar (implements used to grind up something, i.e. corn, pigments) then we get into a big quandary when there is “no data” associated with them. Manos and metates are very common in archaeological sites.  Metates can be very big and heavy (50lbs or more) and take up much storage space.  They are commonly offered to us by the public who doesn’t know what to do with them.  In our case, we direct them to certain local Tribes because cultural traditional practitioners have use for complete manos and metates, but not broken ones.

Sincerely-Elaine

Elaine Hughes
Collections Director
Museum of Northern Arizona (MNA)
3101 North Fort Valley Road
Flagstaff, AZ  86001
928-774-5211x228
Fax: 928-779-1527
[cid:image001.png at 01D1F3C6.19A12380]
Founded in 1928, MNA is an AAM accredited institution.
The mission of the Museum of Northern Arizona (MNA) is to inspire a sense of love and responsibility for the beauty and diversity of the Colorado Plateau through collecting, studying, interpreting, and preserving the region’s natural and cultural heritage.