[Nhcoll-l] no-data archaeological material

Patti Finkle pfinkle at caspercollege.edu
Thu Oct 5 17:30:04 EDT 2017

Deborah,

Do other local (smaller and less funded) institutions need teaching kits?
Could they be used by local high school or elementary teachers for
educational purposes? Just a few options.

Patti

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Barker, Alex W. <barkeraw at missouri.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>

> The short version is that artifacts with neither provenience nor
> provenance (the former representing archaeological context, the latter
> origin, ownership and chain of custody) have limited value in archaeology,
> regardless of whether one views archaeology through a disciplinary or
> museum lens.
>

> Most archaeological organizations restrict or prohibit the publication of
> unprovenienced/ unprovenanced objects, both to avoid encouraging looting
> (often the reason such objects lack any context) and because any scholarly
> conclusions drawn from those objects are circular—they’re both based on and
> perpetuate assumptions about what the context of the object would
> necessarily be if only we actually knew it.
>

> One can say, for example, that a given chipped stone tool is in the shape
> of a Middle Woodland Snyders point, but without context one can’t say
> whether it was made in a Midwestern village two thousand years ago or in
> basement last Tuesday.  That matters, not only in the sense of authenticity
> but in the sense that it adds a spurious exemplar that actually interferes
> with any opportunity to learn anything new and previously unknown.
>

> So yes, we can reliably say they’re “artifacts,” but not of what*,* from
> when or by whom.  Without some reliable context the objects are mute and
> can only tell the stories we arbitrarily impute to them.  There are some
> categories of artifacts which can be securely dated and attributed—but
> ground stone tools are not generally among them.
>

> One option might be to make the problem the topic—to display the objects
> as a jumbled group, with didactic labels talking about the scale of
> collecting and the impact of indiscriminate collecting and looting on the
> archaeological record.  But I recognize that’s a partial and not entirely
> satisfying solution.
>

> Alec

Patti Wood Finkle
Director of Museums
~Tate Geological Museum
~Werner Wildlife Museum
Casper College
307-268-3026

Correspondence sent to or from this email address is subject to the Wyoming
Public Records Act and may be disclosed to third parties.