[Nhcoll-l] White crystals on plastinated tissue

Rebecca Newberry rnewberry at smm.org
Wed Oct 11 11:57:41 EDT 2017

We are noticing some white crystal like growth on plastinated human body parts on display. The objects are sealed in small acrylic vitrines in a gallery which experiences seasonal RH shifts (down to 20% in the winter and up to 60% in the summer) and relatively stable temperature around 70F.
The worst growth is on a rib with cartilage attached. There is also growth on a plastinated heart.
The tissues were prepared at the University of Michigan 15-20 years ago, presumably with silicone.
Has anyone had an issue like this? I plan to clean it off with water dampened swabs, but I'd like to see if there is a way to prevent it from happening again.
Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca Newberry
Conservator