[Nhcoll-l] Labels for wet collections

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Sep 29 06:06:44 EDT 2017

Dear Aqilah,

you could either use Resistall or high quality transparent paper; the
information "acid free" usually refers only the the coating surface and
bottom layers of paper, but not necessarily for the pulp in between
(even though it should not act against the promised properties).

Laser-Printer and paper usually is not a combination, because the laser
toner is only coated to the surface and tends to peel off at some point,
resulting in letter soup.

Inkjet printers with alcohol-proof ink is the far better option, as the
ink penetrates the paper and is more stable. Good printer are the old HP
500 or 600/660 series which may be available used) and Epson stylus with
durabrite ink. There may be other ink jet printers with archival ink,
but I have no experiences with these, so you would need to do some
testing beforehand

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 29.09.2017 um 11:16 schrieb Aqilah Shyaqifah:

> Dear all,
>
> i wish to print the labels for wet collections which are mostly
> preserved in ethanol, but I wish to use proper paper (e.g. Byron
> Weston Resistall Paper) and ink (e.g. Black India). What type of
> printer could I use? Byron Weston Resistall Paper is said to be stable
> when wet however the paper is not acid-free, could this cause a
> problem?  Also, what type of problems could arise from the use of
> normal paper and ink with laser printers (e.g. HP laserjet)?
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Aqilah Shyaqifah
>
> Universiti Brunei Darussalam Natural History Museum (UBDM)
> Faculty of Science
> Universiti Brunei Darussalam

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=9cgu66KYzxzrT_hh-mXo1-IwuzL_eE_rKQ10ox2_0Cs&s=XrYYxgK3qHVv0-XQkTniJOfc1MMptqZIxCX6xH7fC8I&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=9cgu66KYzxzrT_hh-mXo1-IwuzL_eE_rKQ10ox2_0Cs&s=wtR6cbykqb2Cl_FYdfjiwYcq0GsHbcivAFXN2MyavUA&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: