[Nhcoll-l] Arsenic & Other Contaminants in Collections

Thompson, Cody cwthomp at umich.edu
Wed Jun 6 11:38:18 EDT 2018

Colleagues:

I have been working with our university OSEH representative who is preparing to survey the UM collections for arsenic and other contaminants in the hopes of developing safety recommendations for handling specimens.  We have done some survey work to find policies on collection websites but with limited success.  Therefore, I wanted to query the collection community to see what policies were in place in collections at other institutions.  In particular, we are interested in language that addresses possible risks to users from previous chemical treatments used in collections.  If you have anything in place and are willing to share, please send me a direct email off the listserv.

I appreciate the help in advance!

Take care,

Cody

Cody W. Thompson, PhD

Mammal Collections Manager

& Assistant Research Scientist

University of Michigan

Museum of Zoology

3600 Varsity Drive

Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108

Office: (734) 615-2810

Fax: (734) 763-4080

Email: cwthomp at umich.edu

Website: codythompson.org

“Museums have two main objectives: the increase of knowledge and the diffusion of knowledge.”

-Alexander Ruthven