[Nhcoll-l] Collection Policies

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Mon Oct 22 02:50:32 EDT 2018

Hi Tonya,

would recommend "Things great and small" (2nd edition) by John E. Simmons
https://www.amazon.com/Things-Great-Small-Collections-Management/dp/1442277459

Developing a policy is the one things, but such documents often fall
short when colleagues don't live up to it or if there is room for
improvement in the internal museum management (e.g. what are the
sanctions if policies are violated).

All the best
Dirk

Am 21.10.2018 um 23:53 schrieb Tonya.Haff at csiro.au:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if any of you who currently work in a collection where you
> actively collect vertebrates have a museum collection policy document
> that you adhere to, and if so, if you’d be willing to share? We don’t
> currently have one at the ANWC, but are at the beginning stages of
> creating a document that outlines our 10-20 year plan for research and
> collecting directions and specific policies and terms we have for
> collecting (numbers, euthanizing methods, etc). I’ve never written
> anything quite like this before, and would love to see what other
> museums have come up with before I start.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tonya

> Dr Tonya Haff
>
> Collections Manager
>
> Australian National Wildlife Collection
>
> National Research Collections Australia, CSIRO
>
> Canberra, Australia
>
> Phone: (+61) 02 62421566

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/