[Nhcoll-l] What water to use with spirit specimens

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Fri Sep 28 05:20:45 EDT 2018

Hi Tonya,

this depends on the quality of your tap water; if your tap water uses
chemicals such as Cl2 or others for purification, or such chemicals are
used occasionally in the pipe system to prevent microbial growth, you
should test your water first or request this data from your local water
supplier. Also, if your tap water is known to have low ion-loads (e.g.
because of respective filters or other mechanical purification by your
water supplier), the desired effect might be marginal.

What Simon describes is sedimentation (mainly) of carbonates; if you use
tap water, the mixture needs to rest for one day until the alcohol can
be used, because the shifts in the solubility equilibrium will cause
precipitation of ions.

If these are mainly carbonates (cf. data of your local water supplier),
that the minerals can be suited to stabilise the specimens inside jars
or to buffer against pH-shift. However, we know little about the ion
activity of hydrogen-ions in alcohol mixtures and their effect on
pH-shifts and measuring of the pH in alcohol mixtures is a tricky task
(the only reliable way would be titration).

On the other hand, distilled or bi-distilled water attracts CO2 from the
surrounding air and leads to pH values of 5 or lower in freshly
distilled water.

So there are pros and cons. We have very good and pure tap water here in
our museum, and I have been using tap water for nearly 20 years without
any negative results.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 27.09.2018 um 18:43 schrieb Simon Moore:

> Hi Tonya, I have found it okay to use tap for diluting formalin
> whereas alcohol produces a precipitate with tap so I use deionised or
> RO for diluting alcohol.
>
> Best, Simon
>
> Sent from my Windows 10 device

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/