[Nhcoll-l] FW: CBD notifications related to the Nagoya Protocol

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Fri Mar 1 02:19:54 EST 2019

Dear all,

we have seen this already and are aware. Our last - very thoughtful and
considerate - submission (CETAF) was well perceived and found useful by
key negotiators in the last COP MOP meeting.

I do want to caution everybody who feels tempted to draft a submission
that loud exclamations such as the recent Prathapan paper in Science
(http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/1405), which some may
have seen and which was - surprise - published in the very week of the
SBSTTA meeting on DSI in Montreal, are not very helpful.

The negotiations are not only very complex, but a political minefield.
This requires careful stakeholders and well considered submissions.

Prathapan and co-signatories suggested to cover access to type material
and DSI under Nagoya by adopting the seed treaty as multilateral benefit
sharing system. This surely is not a cure, but will increase the pain.
Surely, most of the co-signatories - which explicitly have been selected
to represent internationally renowned Natural History Collections -
entirely overlooked in their Nagoya outrage that they basically
advertised to cover type material in their collections under the Protocol.

An example for the huge reputational risks Natural History Collections
face (types/potential illegally collected/ accusations of bio-piracy),
see here
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/02/amazing-blue-tarantula-new-spider-species-did-researchers-break-law-when-they-studied
<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencemag.org%2Fnews%2F2019%2F02%2Famazing-blue-tarantula-new-spider-species-did-researchers-break-law-when-they-studied&data=02%7C01%7Cabentley%40ku.edu%7C100a5263922247d34f6c08d69d4bedea%7C3c176536afe643f5b96636feabbe3c1a%7C0%7C0%7C636869346788641846&sdata=f67NEpM5Z6iBQ%2BOekHj8gGwPM1RZpUu34BIG%2Bhv2e%2FE%3D&reserved=0>

All the best
Dirk

Am 01.03.2019 um 00:16 schrieb secretary at spnhc.org:

> See below for a message from the Secretariat of the Convention on
> Biological Diversity.
>
> Cindy Opitz
> SPNHC Secretary
> email: secretary at spnhc.org
> web: spnhc.org
> Museum of Natural History
> 11 Macbride Hall
> The University of Iowa
> Iowa City IA 52242
> (319) 335-0481

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/