[Nhcoll-l] Question

Torgersen, John jtorg at umich.edu
Wed Mar 13 13:59:13 EDT 2019

Hello,

Each of the collection management tools has it's strengths, and it
depends on which features you want and how you will be using it.

For instance, for the University of Michigan's museums which are in the
College of Literature, Science and Arts (LSA), we chose to use Specify,
because it had the full set of collection management features that we
were wanting (tracking of interactions like loans, accessions, gifts...
as well as identifying the collection object storage areas, and their
identifications over time, et cetera), and it has really good
documentation and training videos.

 From an IT perspective, it's open-source, so we have access to the code
(if we need it), and we run it on our own servers, which allows us to
manage the release of updates and control the release of records via our
own IPT server ( https://ipt.lsa.umich.edu/ ). This makes our records
immediately available via GBIF, and harvestable via iDigBio, or any
other data-consolidator.

Running Specify (the local client, 6, and the web version, 7) on our own
servers allows us to integrate the databases into our University's
single-sign-on security via LDAP (we haven't done it yet, but we could).
Also, Specify uses a traditional relational-design structure for it's
data tables, which makes it understandable to anyone who is familiar
with a normalized data-structure. The Specify forms, reports and queries
are all modifiable by the users, which enables quick results when
needing changes. Lastly, the team at the Specify Consortium has been
really great to work with... very responsive. In the interest of full
disclosure, we like Specify so much that we joined the Consortium.

The Specify Consortium can also host Specify 7 databases on their
servers, but we wanted to hold our data in our environment, then share
it out with the world. They also have a way of sharing records out, an
IPT equivalent, but I don't know much about that. I'm sure that their
website, and support people, would be able to tell you about all of
their features.

We currently have ten (10) collections using Specify (not all going out
via the IPT), and we should have four (4) more by the end of the year;
so, if you have any questions about our set-up please don't hesitate to ask.

To make your decision, though, you might consider which features are
important to you (do you want to track loans, et cetera, in your
database), what sort of resources you have available (do you have IT
support and resources), then create a spreadsheet that compares how the
various solutions fulfill your needs.

Yours,
John Torgersen
Database Administrator
UM LSA Technology Services Infrastructure