[Nhcoll-l] Fire risks and whale skeletons

Becky Desjardins becky.desjardins at naturalis.nl
Mon Mar 18 02:55:34 EDT 2019

Hi Nikolaj;

In Naturalis' collection I found a whale skeleton that had been burnt
(during bombing in WWII). It has some damage, but has not fallen apart. My
guess would be that the issue is not that they can catch fire and burn on
their own but depending how they are hung, the harnesses for hanging would
burn/melt and drop the specimen on the ground. Though I suspect by that
point anyone would be evacuated.

I wrote a blog
<https://science.naturalis.nl/en/about-us/news/Walvissen/whale-job-part-iv-burning-questions/?page=1>
post about the burnt whale if you would like more information.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Becky Desjardins
Taxidermist

071-751 9252 -