[Nhcoll-l] Fire risks and whale skeletons

Hawks, Catharine HawksC at si.edu
Mon Mar 4 06:12:41 EST 2019

Hi Nikolaj

Based on our experience in forensic anthropology with cremated human remains and burned archaeological bone, I think that it is very safe to say that bone, even when it contains fats and oils, does not readily combust.  It is much more likely that fills or replacement parts made with many modern materials are apt to pose a greater fire risk than the whalebone itself, even when fats/oils are present.  Our Smithsonian fire protection engineers have been far more concerned about modeling materials used in casts and/or to fabricate exhibit components than with any of the skeletons of all kinds that are on display in our exhibits. It is not the skeletons that are a concern, unless of course, they are blocking access to fire detection or suppression equipment, in which case they require repositioning.

Cathy
_______________________________
Catharine Hawks
Conservator
Collections Program
MRC 170 Rm M85-J
National Museum of Natural History
10th Street & Constitution Ave NW
Washington DC 20560
w 202.633.0835 or 4041  c 703 200 4370
hawksc at si.edu<mailto:hawksc at si.edu>

SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/nmnh.fanpage/>  |  Twitter<https://twitter.com/NMNH>  |  Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/smithsoniannmnh/>

[PRICE logo2 signature (340x353) (2) (002)]