[Nhcoll-l] Why retain physical specimens

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Sep 26 14:20:35 EDT 2019

On 9/26/19 10:59 AM, Sarah K. Huber wrote:
Recently I’ve been fielding a lot of questions about why our collection should retain a physical specimen once it has been digitized (e.g., CT-scanned, photographed, x-rayed, etc.). I’m curious how often other museum professionals are asked this question and what your general responses are for justifying the retention of a physical specimen. Why do you tell people it’s important to retain a specimen?

(1) you can't extract DNA from a digital record

(2) you can't retrieve or dissect tissues or internal organs from a digital record

(3) you can't retrieve internal or external microbiota (bacteria, fungi, viruses) from a digital record

(4) you can't retrieve or dissect gut contents from a digital record

(5) you can't do toxicological or pesticide residue tests on a digital record

(6) you need a physical specimen to properly describe something as a new species

There's more, of course, but these are all significant, especially item #1 and #6.

             https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html