[Nhcoll-l] COVID vaccine storage in biological collections facilities

Cassidy, Kelly Michela cassidyk at wsu.edu
Fri Dec 11 18:18:27 EST 2020

I ran across this article in the Washington Post about the Pfizer vaccine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/17/covid-vaccines-what-you-need-to-know/?arc404=true

I’m not sure you can read it without a subscription. In summary, trays of vaccine vials will be shipped in dry ice containers outfitted with a GPS thermometer. Each undiluted vial of vaccine contains 5 doses. The undiluted vials can be stored at normal refrigeration for 5 days. When thawed and diluted into 5 doses, the vaccine is good for 6 hours.

There has been some talk on our campus about offering storage in the many ultracold freezers scattered around, but I wouldn’t think it would be necessary or desirable. At least for the near future, there will not be much need for long-term storage at ultralow temps. In most cases, I would think the manufacturer should only need to store it near the manufacturing facilities for the time it takes to box it up on dry ice and ship it out. The vaccine will be used up nearly as fast as it arrives at its destination. If the article is correct and the undiluted vials can last for 5 days at normal refrigeration, with the combination of dry ice shipping and normal refrigeration, you could get the vaccine virtually anywhere in the US without any need for an ultracold after it leaves the manufacturer.  Ecommerce has created an amazing infrastructure for fast shipping.

Shipping will be more of a problem in poorer countries, but I don’t think our university ultracolds will be much help there.

Dr. Kelly M. Cassidy, Curator, Conner Museum
School of Biological Sciences
Box 644236
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-4236