[Nhcoll-l] Smoke in the collections

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Thu Jul 30 12:23:43 EDT 2020

Hi Rachel,

what should be considered are volatile pollutants that may have entered
the collection space with the smoke even though the smoke has
disappeared. As Hannu's example indicates, gaseous pollutants and smoke
may cause conservation issues in the long run, so it might be worth
checking which sort of gasses or smoke particles should be expected, in
order to develop a monitoring to detect potential damage early.

Checking for examples referring to fire in libraries might be a good
starting point to collect information, as libraries usually have
excellent conservation staff and sadly there is more than one library
that was affected by a fire the one or other way. For some volatile
pollutants specific treatments may be needed to remove them, "airing
things out" surely isn't enough here as Tonya already mentioned.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 30.07.2020 um 16:50 schrieb Hannu Saarenmaa:

> Earlier this year we digitized 200,000 sheets from one medium-size
> herbarium. Often when I handled samples collected by a certain
> collector in the 1920-1950s, I had to cough. Tobacco-like smell was
> still dense.  Surprising but hardly amusing.
>
> Hannu Saarenmaa
>
> On 2020-07-30 2:37, Haff, Tonya (NCMI, Crace) wrote:
>>
>> Having survived the dense smoke of the bushfires in SE Australia this
>> year, I would say that it will just go away on its own eventually…I
>> can’t give you a timeline, though, as I think we may have got
>> habituated to the smell before it actually went away. I would not air
>> things out, due to pest concerns; we never died, either in the
>> collections or at home, and the smell eventually dissipated. So sorry
>> you have to deal with this, though, as I know how awful it is!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tonya

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/