[Nhcoll-l] Freezing as preventative pest treatmenet

Tocci, Genevieve Elizabeth glewis-g at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 15 09:31:38 EDT 2021

Hi Tonya,

I also agree. I know with some of our collections we have slide label deterioration in some places due to silverfish and psocid activity. The risks are the same as explained previously, and we never freeze the wet mounts we have in addition to the solid mounts, but they can be damaged by pests.

If you want to treat the slides because there is evidence of label damage due to pest activity and anoxia treatment would be an alternative. It is longer and more expensive, but would take care of pests and be less risk to the slides. (Or so I am led to believe but welcome a conservator to jump in and correct me.)

Good luck
Genevieve

Genevieve E. Tocci (she, her, hers)
Senior Curatorial Technician
Harvard University Herbaria
22 Divinity Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138  U.S.A.