[Nhcoll-l] Old slides

Mariana Di Giacomo maru.digi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 14:14:00 EDT 2021

Hi Paul,

I worked on a microscope slides project at the Smithsonian NMNH in which I
looked at over 400k slides and did tests on mounting media, so I can help
with many of your questions.
We can chat more on the side about specifics if you want, just email me.

Basically, as long as slides are horizontal, they will survive better (if
you have them in slide boxes, just store the boxes vertically).
For cleaning, start with brushes and cosmetic sponges (I like these but
there are other places to buy them as well:
https://www.universityproducts.com/latex-free-hydrophilic-sponges.html). If
dust and grime are stubborn, you can use a cotton swab with deionized
water, but you must blot the swab first so it is barely moist and not
soaking wet; and avoid touching any paper labels.
About the mounting media, some of them are easier to remount than others,
but that is on a case-by-case basis because people have used everything you
can think of to mount slides, so if you send me some pictures, I can try to
identify them and give you some suggestions.

Best,
Mariana

*Mariana Di Giacomo, PhD*
*Natural History Conservator, Yale Peabody Museum*
Associate Editor, Collection Forum, SPNHC
Secretary/Communications APOYOnline