[Nhcoll-l] FW: Alcohol concentration for terrestrial vertebrates

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Thu May 13 06:52:27 EDT 2021

Dear Sergio,

alone in the Eu there are over 30 accredited denaturants, often they are
mixed to make the ethanol undrinkable. While some have limited effects
on the stability of the DNA-molecule, others do affect the integrity
sooner or later. This is a gradual process that is strongly linked with
the polarity of the denaturing agents, causing fragmentation and
degradation of the DNA.

Usually, especially in commercial product, it is not really specified
which denaturants exactly have been added, and even though you use the
same product, denaturing agents may change. Since 2012, the EU strives
to harmonise taxation of ethanol and thus spoiling of ethanol to make it
undrinkable. More information is provided here:
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/excise-duties-alcohol-tobacco-energy/excise-duties-alcohol/alcohol-not-human-consumption_en

The results can be found here:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R1880&from=EN

/The common //denatur//ing procedure //for completely //denatured
//alcohol //employed in Belgium, //Bulgaria, Czech //Republic,
//Denmark, //Germany, Estonia, //Ireland, //Greece, //Spain, //France,
//Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, //Lithuania, //Luxembourg, //Hungar//y, Malta,
//the Netherlands, //Austria, Poland, //Portugal, Romania, //Slovenia,
Slovakia and //Finland: //Per hectolit//re of absolute //ethanol:/
— 1,0 litre isopropyl alcohol,
— 1,0 litre methyl ethyl ketone,
— 1,0 gram denatonium benzoate.

Isoprop and Bitrex (denatonium benzoate) surely are not an issue, but
the keton MEK breaks down over time as it is a highly polar molecule
that tends to oxidise other (bio) molecules.

While some EU-countries allow research institutions the usage of untaxed
undentaured ethanol, other countries don't. And even though a common
procedure for denaturing has been approved, you have no control that it
is always applied.

Thus I would clearly vote for exclusive usage of undenatured, pure (96%)
EtOH. It might be worth noting negative effects on the DNA-quality has
been reported from 99.8% EtOH occasionally, which might be linked with
residual chemical agents (usually low boiling benzines) used to "dry"
the ethanol above 96%.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 13.05.2021 um 11:06 schrieb Sergio Montagud:

> No, I’m referring to ethanol or ethyl alcohol.
>
> Sergio
>
> *From: *Lennart Lennuk <Lennart.Lennuk at loodusmuuseum.ee>
> *Date: *Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 11:00
> *To: *Sergio Montagud <sergio.montagud at gmail.com>,
> "nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu" <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>
> *Subject: *RE: [Nhcoll-l] FW: Alcohol concentration for terrestrial
> vertebrates
>
> Are you talking about methanol?

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/