[Nhcoll-l] Job Posting: Geoscience Specimen Collections Curator and Manager, Stanford Libraries

William Simpson wsimpson at fieldmuseum.org
Wed Apr 6 17:47:50 EDT 2022

Hi Christine,

How did you post this to Nhcoll?  Was it as simple as sending the whole
email to <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>, or did you have to arrange with
someone to send out a job posting to show up on Nhcoll?  I've got a job
post I'd like to send out, too, which is why I ask!

Best,

Bill

On 4/5/22 6:19 PM, Christine Garcia wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Please see the following announcement, on behalf of Julie
> Sweetkind-Singer, Stanford Libraries:
>
> *Position: Geoscience Specimen Collections Curator and Manager,
> Stanford Libraries*
>
> **
>
> *Apply for the position here.
> <https://avanan.url-protection.com/v1/url?o=https%3A//careersearch.stanford.edu/jobs/geoscience-specimen-collections-curator-and-manager-16604&g=YWUzZGUzY2U2OGI1ZGExMA==&h=NjQ4NmJmNTEwYmQ4MGEwY2I5MmJiOTAxNmVmMzcwZmIxYjZmYmE0NTE5ODVmM2JmNjI5OGNkZTYzNWIyMjIyNA==&p=YXAzOmNhbGFjYWRlbXk6YTpnOjVjOTgyNjUyMmQ3YzY5MGIwODhkZTU0ZGNkZGY5ZjY2OnYxOmg6Tg==>*
>
> Stanford Libraries in conjunction with the School of (Earth, Energy
> and Environmental Sciences) invites applications for the full-time
> permanent position of Collections Curator and Manager for the School’s
> mineral, rock, and fossil collection.  The Collections Curator and
> Manager will report to the Associate University Librarian for Sciences
> and Engineering.  The School holds a large collection of at least
> 250,000 objects that require professional curation and management.
> These objects include rock and mineral specimens, samples, artifacts,
> and associated items such as field notebooks, maps, and reports.  This
> partially curated collection will be housed in a yet to be built
> permanent physical space with dedicated staff to oversee accessioning,
> processing, management, and access to the collections in order to
> further research and teaching within the School and the broader
> scientific community.  We seek an experienced and dynamic expert
> manager who will build the repository from the ground up into an
> actively curated collection.
>
> The successful candidate will be responsible for the creation,
> oversight, procedures, maintenance, and management of the mineral,
> rock, and fossils specimen collection under the terms, conditions, and
> directions of the Stanford Libraries’ AUL for Sciences and Engineering
> with the guidance of a committee of professors from the School. The
> Curator/Manager will be expected to provide leadership, vision, and
> strategic thinking in order to create a dynamic resource that will
> integrate the collections and their management into the research and
> academic programs at Stanford and the wider community. The successful
> candidate will be expected to provide expertise in setting up the
> database, create processes and procedures to accession the materials,
> work with the Faculty Committee on circulation and loan policies, and
> provide leadership on the creation of the physical space for long-term
> storage of the collection.  The Curator/Manager will hire and manage 3
> assistants in term-funded positions to help with the collection
> inventory, accessioning and photography of the collections.
>
> _Core Duties include but are not limited to:_
>
>   * Manage all aspects of storage, maintenance, use, security, and
> [...]
*

William F. Simpson (he)*
Head of Geological Collections
McCarter Collections Manager, Fossil Vertebrates
Gantz Family Collections Center

*Field Museum of Natural History*
1400 South DuSable Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL. 60605