[Nhcoll-l] Tracking in-house specimen usage

Angela Hornsby adhornsby at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:52:55 EST 2022

Hi Sarah,

Our system at UMZM is similar to those described so far.

I just wanted to add that our compliance has been improved a lot by having
many magnetic baskets (like this
<https://smile.amazon.com/Magnetic-Container-Organizer-Refrigerator-Whiteboard/dp/B07KJQXTN8>)
containing pens and yellow loan slips (attached) scattered around the
collections -- the baskets are easy to move to where you need them, and are
a good visual reminder that loan slips exist and should be used.  We have a
matching yellow sign by each door outlining the in-house loan protocol as
simply as possible, which boils down to (1) don't move specimens out of
place without prior approval (basic training with me), (2) leave a
completed loan slip in place of each specimen, (3) immediately email me the
info on the loan slips (people often just send a picture of the slips,
which I encourage), and (4) contact me to return the loan (don't refile it
yourself).  I enter the loan slip info as I receive it into an in-house
loan spreadsheet, and I use that for tracking, reporting, following up
etc.  We deal mostly with dry birds and mammals, for context.

Angela