[Nhcoll-l] Tracking in-house specimen usage

Carla Cicero ccicero at berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 28 14:13:28 EST 2022

Hi Sarah - I create loans in Arctos for any bird specimens that leave the
MVZ, even if just temporary (e.g., for a class or display). I also create
in-house loans for researchers that use the bird collections in the museum,
if they are generating data or products from those specimens (genetic,
morphological, isotopes, artwork, etc.). That way I can link the specimen
usage to associated projects and publications resulting from that use. I
don't create loans if someone visits the collection and is just browsing,
that is too hard to track.

Best,
Carla

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 9:05 AM Sarah K. Huber <skhuber at vims.edu> wrote:

> I would be curious how different collections track in-house usage of
> specimens. I have tried many different protocols for doing this in our
> collection, and none have been completely successful. I would also be
> curious, given your protocol, how compliant users are. (We do not have our
> specimens bar-coded, so this is not an option for tracking at this time.)
>

> I do record when specimens get re-shelved, but without knowing when they
> left the collection, I am unable to determine the amount of time (months,
> years, decades) that they were used. Therefore, my annual reporting
> statistics don’t necessarily reflect actual specimen usage.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
>

> Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
> Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
> Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
> skhuber at vims.edu |
> http://www.vims.edu/research/facilities/fishcollection/index.php
> <https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vims.edu%2Fresearch%2Ffacilities%2Ffishcollection%2Findex.php&data=04%7C01%7Cskhuber%40vims.edu%7C1063bb0e1daf4ab0024f08d897b1267f%7C8cbcddd9588d4e3b9c1e2367dbdf1740%7C0%7C0%7C637426134417674979%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=OEa%2F3y6PHz5lBFNRFMSFFSdxbyTq%2BBGC5PculkLg7nc%3D&reserved=0>
> PO Box 1346 | 1370 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

Carla Cicero, Ph.D
Staff Curator of Birds
Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
3101 Valley Life Sciences Building