[Nhcoll-l] Drying protocols for skeletonized specimens

Rogers, Steve RogersS at CarnegieMNH.Org
Tue Jun 7 19:24:06 EDT 2022

For different vertebrate groups I would suggest a bit different protocol. While most of my skeleton work has been many thousands of birds and herps, the few hundred mammals I have worked on show some idiosyncrasies. Mammal teeth have a much harder outside layer and a softer inside. If you try to dry the teeth very fast in a non-humid environment, most pf the time canines and many other teeth will crack vertically. I will often slowly dry the skulls when teeth are intact within a jar with the lid partially open. If the time to dry is spread out over a couple to a few days, the likelihood of cracking is reduced - but never guaranteed. I have also seen cracked major long bones on even larger mammals like the North American White-tailed Deer.  My area is not particularly dry like Israel may be, so I would use caution drying mammal skeletons quickly. Bird skeletons, as well as reptiles usually aren't as thick walled, and I have not seen the cracked bones in these groups.

Stephen P. Rogers (Mr.)

Collection Manager of Section of Birds

Carnegie Museum of Natural History

4400 Forbes Avenue

Pittsburgh PA 15213-4080

Phone: 412-622-3255 (home phone number 412-922-5635)

Email: rogerss at CarnegieMNH.org

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message

are solely those of the author. The message contents have not

been reviewed or approved by Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh