[Nhcoll-l] [EXT] Animal bone collection and temperatures

Valerie Tomlinson VTomlinson at nature.ca
Tue Sep 6 16:00:18 EDT 2022

Hi Nadja,
There is movement in the museum world when it comes to sustainability practices to expand the allowable environmental conditions allowed for artefacts (other than for the highly sensitive ones). With this in mind, new standards are allowing a temperature range of 0+°C - 25°C, i.e. not exceeding 25°C and not below 0°C (no freeze-thaw cycles). Most specimens and artefact materials are actually better off at lower temperatures (provided you don't allow freeze-thaw cycles), however, you have to pay attention to the impact of temperature on humidity. You don't want to let the humidity rise above 60% if you are letting the temperature drop.
Ideally you don't allow rapid fluctuations in this range either.
Bone material should be fine in this temperature range, so long as you don't allow the humidity to go crazy, and don't allow things to freeze (especially with wet/moist bone).
That's my recommendation.
Valerie Tomlinson