[Nhcoll-l] Curating specimens with uncertain type status?

Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 12:00:24 EDT 2023

On 8/3/23 8:45 AM, Dirk Neumann wrote:
> Thanks for this valuable update, Doug!
>
> Quick question: if the holotype can be identified from the figure and
> if the designation of this specimens as "the holotype" is unambiguous
> from the figure legend, wouldn't it be straight forward if a first
> reviser (i.e. Nate) would confirm that the depicted holotype as been
> moved to lot OSUM 4567 and is been treated as holotype, and the
> paratype specimen previously stored in OSUM 4567 as been assigned to a
> new lot, OSUM 8910 ?
>
> Stability of the Code and scientific names is as important as a clear
> reference and assignation of the holotype. This can be part of a type
> catalogue or just a brief note specifically to this species/ that case
> what problems have been observed and how they have been treated.

Very briefly: my understanding is that the figured specimen cannot be
unambiguously recognized. In essence, the holotype is lost. The name is
still available, even so.

If questions arose about the *validity* of the taxon (i.e., whether it
was a synonym of another species), then - and pretty much ONLY then - a
neotype would be required. There are a very large number of taxa that
presently do not have holotypes, for various reasons, and the Code only
allows neotypes to be designated when absolutely necessary (see Article
75.2).

Peace,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html