[Nhcoll-l] Curating specimens with uncertain type status?

William Poly wpoly at calacademy.org
Thu Aug 3 13:18:13 EDT 2023

Thank you for the additional clarification of the situation and for
additional information, Nate and Doug.  On the subject of type specimens,
it seems that some taxonomists still designate lectotypes as a routine
practice when it doesn't seem warranted (all syntypes unquestionably the
same taxon).  Having multiple name-bearing types can be useful, especially
if in several collections, to reduce catastrophic losses of name-bearing
types.