[Nhcoll-l] Compactor/mobile storage systems for paleo collections

Adam Rountrey arountre at umich.edu
Tue Aug 15 15:39:09 EDT 2023

Hi Tiffany,
We have triple-stacked cabinets on compactor carriages at the UMMP, and I
was very concerned about capacity during design, so there were several
conversations with engineers.  As an example of the weights involved, one
of our carriages holds about 37,000 lbs of cabinets and drawers (empty).
The paleobotany fossils in those drawers bring the total weight of the
carriage up to about 67,000 lbs (based on some random drawer weighing), and
the stated capacity of this carriage is 104,000.  My understanding is that
our carriages were modified from a standard design to handle the higher
loads of triple-stacked paleo collections.

We have manual cranks, and these heavier carriages do take a bit of effort,
but I would not say it is too difficult.  We only move one carriage  at a
time.

-Adam