[Nhcoll-l] Looking for tips on unbleached cotton suppliers in the USA

Joachim Händel Joachim.Haendel at zns.uni-halle.de
Thu Jul 20 11:43:00 EDT 2023

Dear Rod,

please note that there is a (small) risk of Byne's disease when using cotton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byne%27s_disease [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byne%27s_disease]

Therefore, we have chosen to use Polyester fiberfill for egg- and mollusk-collection, although we strictly use high purity cotton
wool (medical eye cotton) in all other cases.

Good luck
Joachim

--
Joachim Haendel

Center of Natural History Collections
of the Martin Luther University (ZNS)
- Entomological Collection -

Domplatz 4
D-06099 Halle (Saale)
Germany

Phone:  +49 345 - 55 26 447
Fax:  +49 345 - 55 27 248

Email: joachim.haendel at zns.uni-halle.de

>>> "Pellegrini, Rodrigo [DOS]" <Rodrigo.Pellegrini at sos.nj.gov> 20.07.2023, 15:35 >>>

Greetings,

The NJ State Museum is in need of cotton for padding an egg collection, and I'm on a quest to compile a list of possible sources
of natural, unbleached cotton to procure.
We have some polyester fiberfill, but it is springy and we would rather use cotton to prevent eggs from falling and being damaged.
Any leads (or advice you may have on blown egg storage/padding) would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Rod Pellegrini
New Jersey State Museum