[Nhcoll-l] Looking for tips on unbleached cotton suppliers in the USA

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Fri Jul 21 09:49:58 EDT 2023

I prefer the use of polyester batting. You can use either sheet (needle punch) or bulk fiberfill. If using sheet, cut or tear a small hole for the egg(s) – creating a small cavity, leaving lower layers of soft batting.  If using bulk fiber fill – create a nest by forming the eggs. My concern with cotton (unbleached of course) is that it is somewhat hygroscopic which can cause problems mentioned by Joachim. If using cotton, use medical grade – that will have less additives.

Good luck
Gretchen Anderson

Conservator
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Andersong at CarnegieMNH.Org

From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> On Behalf Of Joachim Händel
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2023 11:43 AM
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu; Rodrigo.Pellegrini at sos.nj.gov
Subject: Re: [Nhcoll-l] Looking for tips on unbleached cotton suppliers in the USA

Dear Rod,

please note that there is a (small) risk of Byne's disease when using cotton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byne%27s_disease

Therefore, we have chosen to use Polyester fiberfill for egg- and mollusk-collection, although we strictly use high purity cotton wool (medical eye cotton) in all other cases.

Good luck
Joachim

--
Joachim Haendel

Center of Natural History Collections
of the Martin Luther University (ZNS)
- Entomological Collection -

Domplatz 4
D-06099 Halle (Saale)
Germany

Phone:  +49 345 - 55 26 447
Fax:  +49 345 - 55 27 248
Email: joachim.haendel at zns.uni-halle.de<mailto:joachim.haendel at zns.uni-halle.de>

>>> "Pellegrini, Rodrigo [DOS]" <Rodrigo.Pellegrini at sos.nj.gov<mailto:Rodrigo.Pellegrini at sos.nj.gov>> 20.07.2023, 15:35 >>>
Greetings,

The NJ State Museum is in need of cotton for padding an egg collection, and I'm on a quest to compile a list of possible sources of natural, unbleached cotton to procure.
We have some polyester fiberfill, but it is springy and we would rather use cotton to prevent eggs from falling and being damaged.
Any leads (or advice you may have on blown egg storage/padding) would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Rod Pellegrini
New Jersey State Museum

The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.