[Nhcoll-l] Best repair glue for bone specimens

Fran Ritchie franritchie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 09:59:32 EDT 2023

Hi Kayla,

Joachim beat me to a response! High tack fish glue is great, and Paraloid
B-72 is an extremely versatile adhesive that we use frequently in objects
conservation. The one thing I want to add to his information is that
Paraloid B-72 can be reversible using the same solvents. Sometimes it takes
a longer dwelling time, but if the bones are placed in an acetone chamber,
it should do the trick to release the adhesive. I've performed that trick
many times on objects, particularly ceramic pieces. If anyone has further
questions on this, don't hesitate to reach out.

You can buy Paraloid B-72 premade in little containers that look like nail
polish containers. This makes it very easy to use and apply. The solution
is 20% in acetone, which might be a little dilute for your purposes (this
is ideal for consolidating areas, as Joachim mentioned, and also for
labeling objects). To thicken, you could keep the lid off of the container
for a few minutes to allow the acetone to evaporate. Conversely, if it
becomes too thick or stringy, you can add drops of acetone and wait a bit
for it to dissolve, creating a less viscous solution.

In the States, it's available here
<https://museumservicescorporation.com/products/marking-varnishes> and here
<https://www.talasonline.com/Paraloid-B-72-Lacquer>. And as he explained,
you can make your own solutions in glass jars (with a well-gasketed lid) by
buying your own pellets. They are available here
<https://www.talasonline.com/Paraloid-B-72>. If you would like more
step-by-step on how to make it, I'd be happy to walk you through it. I just
gave a presentation during this past SPNHC meeting on the exact topic.

I also strongly advise against superglue, as well as anything used in the
human dental industry.

Best,
Fran
Chair of the SPNHC Conservation Committee