[Nhcoll-l] Designing a new fluid store

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu May 4 10:42:09 EDT 2023

If you have not already done so, you should check the extensive
recommendations in this book, published in 2022:

*Preservation and Management of Fluid – Preserved Biological Collections*,
by Dirk Neumann, Julian Carter, John E. Simmons and Oliver Crimmen; ISBN:
979-8-218-01102-4.

The book is available from these sources:

*In the UK and Europe:*

https://archetype.co.uk/our-titles/preservation-and-management-of-fluid-preserved-biological-collections/?id=440

*In the UK and Europe:*

https://archetype.co.uk/our-titles/preservation-and-management-of-fluid-preserved-biological-collections/?id=440

Public access to fluid preserved collections is a bit tricky due to the
fire and exposure risks from the preservatives. However, a very good model
for how to do this is the Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin, which has a
portion of their collection available for public viewing. I noticed when I
was there that the exhibit is very popular with visitors (it is a
spectacular way to exhibit fluid preserved specimens). You can see it here:
https://www.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin/en/museum/exhibitions/wet-collection

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Associate Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima