[Nhcoll-l] Bird eggs in ethanol

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Fri May 26 05:04:52 EDT 2023

Hi Belinda,

John’s answer is just what I would have advised as well but do keep a watchful eye on pH level, especially once the eggs and embryos have been preserved. Just keep on renewing the fluid if the level drops below 5.5 or even 6, else you will have gradual decalcification occurring.
Many such pigments are alcohol labile so photos are essential and it would be interesting to see which pigments remain.

With all good wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com