[Nhcoll-l] shipment of herbarium specimens to Denmark

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Thu Nov 2 13:11:15 EDT 2023

Hi Rich,

there once was an low value tax exemption for all shipments were the declared value was below 22 EUR. But this was completely removed with the entering into force of the new EU tax reg in March this year. This was done to counteract the substantial tax evasion observed in e-commerce business with (Southeast) Asia (basically with one specific country).

Specimens shipped under CN/HS code 9705.29.0000 are exempted from taxes in the EU, and this surely applies also to the UK, as the UK is (at the moment still) tied to via Northern Ireland to the (taxation) requirements of the Single Market of the EU.

But mind you: this tax exemption only applies to the 'goods', i.e. the specimens that are shipped. This is not a derogation from value-added taxes! This means that we have observed in the recent past that 'import taxes' where charged on the shipping costs. In some cases we could successfully claim those costs when mailing FedEx, or UPS (have not observed this with DHL Express so far, more often with UPS) when pointing to the fact that the goods themselves are tax-exempted, and that loanded research samples are not goods for which value-added taxes can be charged. Onerous emails, but sometimes successful.

@ Gretchen: you were lucky with the $45! Better avoiding this an reducing this to $1 for above given reasons.

Hope this further clarifies,

with best wishes
Dirk