[Personal_archives] Tuesday morning

Martha Langford mlangford at qc.aibn.com
Tue Oct 28 09:35:08 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I'd like to pick up on Alison's questions about materiality and place.

Could we talk, at least briefly, about the photographic image found on
line.  Are photographic archivists seeing a general loss of interest in
the original material form of the object? And if so, does that sever the
link to use in time and place that Alison is raising?

Here at Concordia, a number of us are spending the fall trying to answer
the question: What Do We Owe the Object? Digitizing the photograph
disseminates an image with gains and losses. One recurring puzzle: the
digitized image can be inspected in ways that it never was in its
original context. Is this a gain or a loss?

Off to school.

Martha