[Personal_archives] (re-sent) first thoughts of the morning

Alison Nordstrom anordstrom at geh.org
Tue Oct 28 10:40:51 EDT 2008

I¹m curious about who¹s lurking here. I suspect we have archivists, curators
and students who may do any number of things in the future. Strikes me that
we might have very different notions and working definitions of ³family
photograph.² Can we share?

I tend to say various things like ³a photograph used in the family as a
metaphor for that family, an ideological device that defines family, a
statement both internally directed and externally directed that manifests an
ideal, a record of a family.²

How do these past uses cling to a photograph ( or group of photographs) as
it/they moves away from original use?