[Personal_archives] Wednesday morning

Martha Langford mlangford at qc.aibn.com
Wed Oct 29 08:50:24 EDT 2008

Wednesday morning

Alison's note deserves a longer reply than I can give it right now. I
just want to add a few thoughts.

Alison, I have to question the terms of your correlation with memory -
memories may sometimes strike us as truthful, but memory as we know it
on everyday basis is pretty patchy, while copious (only one of the
paradoxes within). Mis-remembering is an everyday occurrence
(especially, it seems, in political life). So 'inclusive and
informative' are not memory's characteristics, as Lorie Novak's layered
and often mysterious oeuvre has shown.  When artists work with the
fluidity of memory, something pretty interesting happens, as I have
tried to argue about Johnson and her confessors, Feldmann, Rosier, and
the two Snows. I also want to say that this argument does not privilege
artists' uses, but uses them as case studies writ large to interpret our
everyday responses to similar objects. They are subjective responses, to
be sure.

Use and context are no more scientific. They are very evocative,
especially when they summon the other senses, touch, smell, hearing the
crinkle of the paper. We are not forensic scientists, though, but
historians. The trajectory you speak of is highly speculative, a way of
narrating the life of the object 'before now'. Archivists are also
storytellers, and often very good ones because they have so much
enriching information at hand. The Sassoon article is very good at
laying out the materiality question, I agree, and it sounds an alarm
that few of us are capable of responding to (don't we all love to
discover 'great images' on line).

Your illustration of your daughter's use of photography as a social tool
in the present is just what I was getting at when I wrote about
'entertainment'. Cartes-de-visite also show us clearly that people were
not exclusively intent on engraving their images on history, but on
making fashion statements in the present, participating in the modern
culture, climbing the social ladder or theatrically slumming, and
generally having a good time. The album appears to pour these events in
amber, but that's only our bookish backward look. Albums have been
connected to Family Bibles; they are more usefully linked to novels and
poststructural novels, from the likes of Calvino, Ondaatje, and Sebald
(actually, there's a lot of fiction in the Family Bible too, but that's
another discussion).

Alison, thanks for a longish note that allowed me to respond (I hope not
too provocatively) to keep the larger conversation going.

To everyone: I am really enjoying the anecdotes from the archival desk -
images! as I said last night and stories about the public/private
divide. And I was very touched by the attention paid to the personal
genealogist - they are a dedicated lot and they do invest emotionally in
their photographic knowledge.

Off to school.

Martha