[Personal_archives] Wednesday morning

Alison Nordstrom anordstrom at geh.org
Thu Oct 30 17:10:51 EDT 2008

( Forgive me for responding to many threads and out of order.)

I fear Martha has misunderstood a critical nuance of my longish earlier
post.

What I said was ³They look like truth and feel like memory because they
appear so inclusive and informative.² ( my emphasis)

The critical point on which we both agree is that memory is neither
inclusive nor true, but is a constantly shifting and continuously
re-negotiated story that generally has very little to do with either
³history² or ³what happened². I was trying to point out the risk of equating
photographs as facts, time machines, historical illustrations or objective
statements, although many people ( especially, I fear, historians) often do.
As archivists we often assist researchers who understand photographs only in
this simplistic and misleading way. How can we encourage them to undertake a
more complex approach?

Alison