[Personal_archives] images of death

RICKBARRY at aol.com RICKBARRY at aol.com
Wed Oct 29 23:50:50 EDT 2008

This very interesting discussion has included several comments  on access and
use of photos of deceased persons taken at funerals and how  attitudes have
changed in this respect in recent generations. Some comments  referred to
cultural aspects as to what is considered personal or public. There  can be quite
serious cultural implications of not only photos of the deceased  but even the
names of deceased in some cultures and while it is common  in some cultures to
include permanent pictures of the deceased on their graves,  in others it is
next to taboo. Those of you dealing with personal or other  records of
different societies will find it worthwhile to read Helen  Onopko's presentation on
"Evolving access solutions -- repatriation of  records of indigenous
communities," which is accessible in the Guest Authors  section of _www.mybestdocs.com_
(http://www.mybestdocs.com) .   This presentation was a report on a project to
develop and provide portable  archives of Aboriginal records to the groups
that were the subject of the  records, and the challenges that arose in that
process.

Quoting from Helen's presentation:

"On the one hand free accessibility to this  heritage is needed so that
Aboriginal people can trace their genealogies, find  their tribal identity, their
ancestral lands, and trace their relatives. On  the other hand 'free' access
can go against traditional methods of control  over the flow of cultural sacred
information. As recordkeeping professionals  we can appreciate that here is a
special circumstance where context is  as important as content.

"In July 1978, photographs by a powerful  collector of aboriginal records
were printed in Stern Magazine showing sacred  sites and secret rites of
indigenous groups.  He was very upset when the photographs  were then sold to People
Magazine.   Stern subsequently apologised. The whole controversy about whether
the  photographs should or should not have been published caused a great deal
of  moral anguish.  He said that he  had every right to permit use of the
photographs because the subjects in the  photographs had passed away.

"In some Aboriginal communities, seeing the names and photographs of  the
deceased may cause sadness and distress, particularly to relatives of  those
people.
"It is admittedly very difficult to write history without including such
names. On the Ara Irititja   website, cautions are provided to users, so that
choices can be made  prior to record access.

"This was placed at the beginning of the website and the warning has to  be
accepted by all users to enter."

Regards,

Rick

In a message dated 10/29/2008 8:51:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,