[Personal_archives] A turning point?

Martha Langford mlangford at qc.aibn.com
Thu Oct 30 12:28:02 EDT 2008

The introduction of postmortem photographs and all the immensely useful
recommendation from the literature have nevertheless made us all a bit
thoughtful. The week will end before we sort out the ethics of these
matters - our conversation will be over.

So I want to pick up on the disciplinary point about sociologists having
a more developed theory on the public uses of taboo or potentially
hurtful material. The social scientists have led the way, it seems to
me, toward more self-reflexive practices. Everything I've read here so
far suggests that archivists and art historians are doing their best to
be both sensitive and reflexive in their work. How do we communicate
these ideas to emergent researchers, whether in the archives or in the
classroom? I have my strategies, but I was hoping to hear from you,
because these ideas need constant refreshment, or they turn in on
themselves and cease to be productive.

So: reflexivity...how's it going?

Martha