[Personal_archives] A turning point?

RICKBARRY at aol.com RICKBARRY at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 15:16:06 EDT 2008

Thanks for your post, Martha. Your use of the term "reflexive" caused me to
look the word up, because it came to me in a "reflex" or knee-jerk sense,
which I don't think you meant, as distinct from reflective, which I'd like  to
think characterized archivists' reaction to potentially, socially loaded
collections. Alas, I found that the terms are synonymous, at least till you get  to
the last definition of reflexive offered by Webster: "characterized by
habitual and unthinking behavior". YIKES! I know you didn't mean that one!  But
wait! On further reflection, I was prom

I do have one substantive reaction to your post after some.....reflection.
It is that it has been my observation for the past couple of decades that, with
 some exceptions, archivists tend to communicate with one another and not
much  outside of their profession in conferences, journals, etc. It is a theme
that  I got into in my 1995 presentation to the ACA in Regina, _"The  Changing
Workplace and the Nature of  Records"_
(http://www.mybestdocs.com/barry-r-aca1995-wkp-rec.htm)  , and subsequent workshops. The  particular issue relating to
social/cultural considerations in personal  photo records is one that
illustrates opportunities for dialogs with other  professional groups about common
areas of concern, in this case including  anthropologists and social scientists
in discussion lists like this one --  opened up according to the topic to
other professionals even temporarily  -- and in other forms, e.g., conferences,
journals,  university program guest lecturers.

Regards,

Rick

In a message dated 10/30/2008 12:30:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,