[Personal_archives] The feeling of memory and other feelings

Martha Langford mlangford at qc.aibn.com
Thu Oct 30 18:31:40 EDT 2008

Alison, the emphasis in your note didn't come through, but I see how we
misunderstood each other. My point was about the feeling of memory - the
translation into photographic expression of the state of remembering. A
photographic work that appears "inclusive and informative" may prompt
memory, but its chief characteristics bespeak knowledge which summons
more criticality than exploratory feeling. But the obvious retort is
that something that appears "inclusive and informative" to you may not
be so clear to me, and not just because I lack the background or
contextual data to do the analysis. This is where the punctum trumps the
studium, and taps into more personal memories. Archivists are
susceptible to the same subjective, sometimes blinding emotions. And the
rehearsal of these feelings generally occurs in the public/private realm
of the reading room.

Nancy,  you've formulated an excellent list of questions in response to
the reflexivity question Sorry, Rick, to tie you in knots over my choice
of words, but we were borrowing from sociology where the word is used to
convey the theory that the presence of the observer influences the
behaviour that is observed. Translating that into the archives, I would
suggest that there is no way for an archivist to bring me material
'neutrally'. Everything, from a professional judgment of my competence
to process certain kinds of data  to a subjective judgment of my
entitlement to certain kinds of data - I think that's what Nancy is
getting at with her list, but I won't put words in her mouth.

I hope this isn't too telegraphic - I feel the end of conversation
coming nearer and I'm still trying to sketch that in-between space I
asked about at the beginning. Let me bring Erving Goffman in. Visiting
researchers know that there is a backstage behind the onstage behaviour
of the archivist who is advising them. Indeed Alison just confirmed it,
in her report that selective sharing takes place. So back to my earlier
question - how's your reflexivity? Do archivists take stock, from time
to time, of the archival effect? I actually think that's what Nancy is
doing for us. Other voices may wish to chime in.

Martha