[Personal_archives] censorship vs. sensitivity

Dean, Heather heather.dean at yale.edu
Fri Oct 31 13:57:39 EDT 2008

Thanks for raising this point Kristan.   I'm thinking here of archives created by and belonging to individuals (such as authors' papers).  Although the waters can get muddied easily.  For example, in the US, if a faculty member's "personal" papers contain personal information about students, then these papers are covered by Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html .   How would you define the difference between personal and private archives?