[Tshwanelex-l] Adding new formatting markup characters

James Crippen jcrippen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:23:14 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:40 AM, David Joffe <david.joffe at tshwanedje.com> wrote:
> Have you considered using inline markup, e.g.:
>
> abc <p>def</p> ghi
>
> Then the 'p' tag could be set to use the IPA font. Of course this
> depends also on the structure. But from an 'XML' perspective that is
> probably the most 'correct'. (Is it lots of different fields in
> which you add %p stuff?)

I do have %p showing up in fairly random fields, and most importantly
in attributes. So for example it might appear in <Definition
Definition="Geoduck (locally pronounced /%pˈgu.i.dʌk%p/)"/>. In this
context, the XML inline markup wouldn’t be parsed by any standard XML
parser. That’s why I figured using a percent escape was more sensible.
In fact I also have %h as well, used for Hebrew text in a few spots.