[Tshwanelex-l] Adding new formatting markup characters

David Joffe david.joffe at tshwanedje.com
Mon Jan 7 21:58:05 EST 2013

Hmm, if it's 'acceptable' for the markup char to just do nothing and
disappear in TLex, i.e. if you can live with that, then I wonder if
an 'entity' wouldn't do the trick instead, e.g. add an entity (in
the DTD editor) "&p;" and define its expansion text as just nothing,
an empty string. Then your scripts could perhaps look for "&p;"
instead of "%p", but TLex should replace the entity with nothing in
the output.

If it needs to use a different font in TLex, that could be a bit
more complex, as it implies probably associating an actual 'style'
(like in the Styles system) somewhere with it. (It's not entirely
trivial to add new markup in the code, as the markup characters need
to be specially handled by several parts of the code, e.g.
auto-sorting, error checks, highlighting, and associating a font
implies a UI for editing the style; I'll have to think about if
there are some ways to do that that are not too complex.)

 - David