[Wgcp-whc] WGCP--Swensen Readings, Reminder

Richard Deming rdeming at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:52:22 EDT 2005

Friends,

Just a quick reminder: this Friday’s discussion with Cole Swensen will
be at 4 and not our usual time of 1.45.  Swensen is a recent nominee
for the National Book Award and is currently on the faculty of the
prestigious Iowa Writers’ Workshop at the University of Iowa. Author
of nine collections of poetry, she is also a prolific translator.    A
selection of poems are now available at the Whitney Humanities Center.

A useful biography can be found here and it offers additional links to
various poems to be found online.
http://www.onlinepoetryclassroom.org/poets/poets.cfm?prmID=721

A very useful article about thinking about the city as a trope of
poetry can be found here:
http://www.identitytheory.com/nonfiction/swensen_poetry.php

This would be a very useful complement to the essay Swensen has
forwarded to the group, which will be the focus of Friday’s
conversation.  I am attaching that to this e-mail.

Jean-Jacques sends this note to accompany it:

Dear Friends,

        Very generously responding to the invitation to share her most
recent
work with us, Cole Swensen has sent a brief paper outlining some
aspects of her current project (see attached). That paper was
delivered
with visual aides just last week. Cole wishes to underline that it was
written to be read out loud; perhaps not quite yet manicured for large
press printing. She has also mentioned a web site where we can find
images illustrating the notion and effect of anamorphosis (check it:
www.anamorphosis.com  ).

So please join us on Friday 4 at the Whitney Humanities Center for
this terrific opportunity.

R. Deming, group secretary