[Wgcp-whc] April 24 and some events

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Mon Apr 13 11:40:31 EDT 2009

Dear Poeticians,

We have just two more sessions left for the semester: April 24 and
May 1. In this note I will give details about the next session and
then pass o information about two events.

On April 24th, we will be joined by Professor Steve Evans of UMaine,
Orono. Evans will be talking about  "The Poetics of Phonotextuality"--
or the sound(s) of sounding poetry.  Evans will offer "a systematic
introduction to an exciting new development in the field of poetics
(and literary studies more generally), the emergence of
'phonotextual' studies concerned with the analysis and interpretation
of poems not just as printed texts but as voiced structures whose
meaning can be 'sounded' as well as seen."

Evans is at the forefront of this field as the links below will
attest.  This a session not to be missed

Evans has sent a list of audio links that will set up this
conversation.  It is very important that people listen to the first
one as that will take the place of any formal talk or paper.  It only
takes about 50 minutes to listen to.  That way, when he joins us,
everyone will have a sense of the topic.

A bio of Evans is here: http://www.thirdfactory.net/evans.html

>>> Discussion with Al Filreis (approx. 50 minutes)
>>> http://www.writing.upenn.edu/pennsound/x/Evans.php
>>>
>>> Lipstick of Noise - linking & listening to poetry audio files
>>> http://www.thirdfactory.net/lipstick.html
>>>
>>> Writers House Podcast (approx. 18 minutes)
>>> http://media.sas.upenn.edu/pennsound/podcasts/PennSound-
>>> Podcast_05_Evans.mp3
>>>
>>> Robert Kelly on Paul Blackburn's tape recording
>>> http://media.sas.upenn.edu/pennsound/authors/Kelly/Kelly-
>>> Robert_Remembering-Blackburn_The-Lipstick-of-Noise_4-07.mp3
>>>
>>> The Poetics of Phonotextuality (graduate level seminar, spring 2009)
>>> http://phonotextuality.wordpress.com/
>>>
>>> Poetry in the Age of the MP3 (graduate level seminar, August 2007)
>>> http://eng529listen.wordpress.com/
>>>
>>> Poetry in the Age of the MP3 (undergraduate seminar, fall 2008)
>>> http://eng429listen.wordpress.com/

This meeting will be 3-5 on Friday the 24th.  We will be meeting in
the Beinecke again  so that Evans can play audiofiles and so forth.
Be sure to spread the word to anyone who might be interested.

++++++++++++++++++

Also:

And two upcoming campus events run by WGCP core members:

Our very own Josh Stanley writes:
Dear all,

The first issue of Hot Gun! is now out. It includes POEMS by

Kyle Storm Beste-Chetwynde, Ryan Dobran, Luke Roberts, Justin
Katko+Jow Lindsay, and Marianne Morris

+ the following PIECES:

Trying to Look Correctly at the “Subjects” of Andrea Brady’s ‘Saw Fit’
– Amica Dall

‘[D]oubts, Complications and Distractions’: Rethinking the Role of
Women in Language Poetry – Emily Critchley

Guy Debord’s _Hurlements En Faveur De Sade_ [Headnote, Translation and
Footnotes] – Justin Katko

Young-Hae Chang Heavy Industries : Presentation review – Kate Riley

Keston Sutherland: _Hot White Andy_ – J.H. Prynne

Lyric Purity in Keston Sutherland’s _Hot White Andy_ – Neil Pattison

It is 96 pages for the desperate day+night. Please email
hotgunjournal at gmail.com with questions + please read Hot Gun! with and
without with questions. Dear tremors in the present part juicer, what
else can we now do.

All this for 7 dollars plus postage: 2 dollars for the USA and 6
dollars for the UK and the rest of the world. I will have a website
setup in the next couple of days where you will be able to buy it
through paypal, but otherwise, please send a cheque (payable to Josh
Stanley) and your address to:

Hot Gun!
c/o Josh Stanley
40 Lynwood Place,
New Haven, CT
06511, USA

We will have a launch in New Haven Friday night (17th) in the Dive at
Davenport College, at 8pm, where Justin Katko and Ryan Dobran will be
reading.

==============

Our very own Caitie Barrett writes:

Bennett Lovett-Graff, the editor of the New Haven Review, and I have
been organizing a reading of local New Haven writers (who work in a
variety of genres, both poetry and prose) to be held on campus at the
McDougal Center on the 27th at 6 pm. We were wondering if anyone on
the WGCP-list would be interested in reading as well. Would you mind
forwarding this note to the list? Anyone who's interested can just
send me an email.  To: "'Caitlín Barrett'" <caitlin.barrett at yale.edu>

  The roster includes:
Mark Oppenheimer (www.markoppenheimer.com)  Yale coordinator and
instructor, editor New Haven Review, and Westville resident
Brian Slattery (www.bfslattery.com) SF writer, editor New Haven
Review, and Hamden resident
Alison Moncrief (http://mailman.yale.edu/pipermail/yale-readings/2007-
September/000467.html) poet and Foote School instructor
Pang-Mei Natasha Chang (http://www.salon.com/sneaks/
sneakpeeks960918.html) memoirist, New Haven Review board, and New
Haven resident
Dan Casey (http://gentlyread.wordpress.com/), New Haven resident,
poet and blogger
Bennett Lovett-Graff, publisher New Haven Review, Westville resident

  ++++++++

That's all for now.

Onward,
Richard Deming