[Wgcp-whc] first session next week, Yeshiva Boys copies

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Fri Jan 25 09:55:09 EST 2013

Friends,

just a reminder that we will not be meeting today.  We have postponed our first session of the semester until next Friday, February 1 from 3 PM- 5PM in room B04 of the Whitney Humanities Center.  Photocopies of David Lehman's Yeshiva Boys are available in room 116 of the WHC.  They are on a bookshelf on the wall opposite the door (and nearest the window). There are just a few left, so be sure to pick one  up as soon as you can.

By the  way, here is the Publishers Weekly Review of Lehman's book:

Disarmingly casual, unexpectedly serious, alert to his predecessors and mentors in literature and in life, Best American Poetry series editor Lehman (When a Woman Loves a Man ) has produced a seventh book of uncommon variety. Some poems consider writing itself, as inspiration, as vocation, as business—“That's the thing about ambitious middle-aged writers/ who used to be young: each has a secret problem,/ and if they confess it, they think it will advance/ their careers.” Others seek the informality that Lehman's readers have come to expect. The Jewish content promised by the title arrives in force late in the volume, as the title poem cuts between Lehman's remembered childhood and his adult meditations on heritage and the Holocaust: “I feel as if my real life is somewhere else, I left it/ back in 1938.” (Lehman's mother, who speaks the prose epilogue, describes her life as a child in Vienna and as a refugee.) Lehman, who lives in New York, remains alert to many styles and forms; as a poet he has often followed in the tracks of Kenneth Koch and Frank O'Hara. The title poem, leaving those influences behind, will seem to some readers flat and without style, to others as personal and as profound as anything Lehman has written. (Nov.)

++++++++

I also want to bring you word of a reading happening on campus next week that might be of interest.  I will post the info below.

all best,
Richard Deming, WGCP Coordinator

++++

Yale Literature & Spirituality Series
Brad Davis, poet
BOTH /AND
an annotated poetry reading

Thursday, January 31, 2013 | 5:15 PM
Marquand Chapel, Yale Divinity School

Readings in Marquand Chapel followed by a book-signing and reception
Presented in collaboration with Yale Divinity Student Book Supply.

For more information go to: http://www.yale.edu/ism/events/BradDavis.html

BIO:
Brad Davis has an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts and several
books, the most recent being Opening King David (Wipf & Stock) and
Self Portrait w/ Disposable Camera. His poems have appeared widely in
such journals as Poetry, Paris Review, DoubleTake, Connecticut Review,
Image, Michigan Quarterly Review, Puerto del Sol, The Cafe Review, Tar
River Poetry, Ascent, and Chautauqua. Awards include an AWP Intro
Journal Award and the Sunken Garden Poetry Prize. Davis has taught
creative writing at the College of the Holy Cross and Eastern
Connecticut State University. As well, he served fifteen years as
chaplain of Pomfret School in Pomfret, CT, where he is now a school
counselor, poetry writing teacher, and squash coach. He is editor of
Hill-Stead Museum's online poetry journal, Theodate, and their 20th
anniversary festival anthology, Sunken Garden Poetry, 1992-2011
(Wesleyan University Press).