[Yale ArchivesSpace] Update on ArchivesSpace

Frohlich, Raymond raymond.frohlich at yale.edu
Fri Jul 31 14:56:49 EDT 2015

Good afternoon everyone,

There are several ArchivesSpace updates to provide today.

Infrastructure
Library IT had an opportunity to review the survey results from the last two rounds of testing on both our local Test instance and an instance running in Amazon Web Services (AWS).  Comments trended positive during the AWS test for certain actions (ex. browse, search, record updates) with some actions still reported as slow (ex. EAD download).  So although the larger servers are not a panacea for all performance issues, users have reported that the application is much more responsive which improves the user experience.  This is certainly a step in the right direction.  As a result, Library IT has commandeered some existing equipment currently used for other activities with the intention of getting ArchivesSpace installed and running on it shortly.  This is a large multi-processor, large memory footprint physical server with solid state disk.  One of the largest discrepancies we have seen between AS running on our local Test instance vs. AWS is the read/write speed of the storage.  AWS is twice as fast as our local Test instance.  Storage performance testing on the system that we are currently setting up clocked in at five times the speed of AWS.  Barring any technical or testing delays in Library IT, we hope to invite you to participate in another round of user testing in this new environment next week.  Maureen Callahan will again coordinate these activities when appropriate.  A quick thanks to her for all of her efforts thus far!

Database Optimization
We anticipate locking in the schedule with Percona for performance analysis by Monday of next week.

ArchivesSpace Core Code Review
We have a request in to Hudson Molonglo to turn around a statement of work early next week to review both the ArchivesSpace core code, conduct a full performance audit of the existing ArchivesSpace solution stack on our current environment to identify potential areas for improvement, and provide the test scripts and documentation required for YUL to reproduce the performance tests outlined in the “Yale ArchivesSpace Performance Analysis Report” on pg. 5, dated July 2, 2015.

Data Integrity
No news to report today.

Hosting
We had a very constructive call with Lyrasis yesterday to get a sense of their ArchivesSpace hosting service.  They will develop a proposal, cost estimates, and some documentation we have requested about the service so that we can better understand all of the implications of moving to a hosted solution.  We continue to wait for a response.

Our shared work document is a little out of date, but efforts to update and revise tasks will be undertaken shortly -  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z20GVHYnnQJ_rMeZPyiqBfc3m-oq0wr54husC9lLmJc/edit?usp=sharing.  Please do not hesitate to reach me if you have questions or comments.

Thanks,
Ray

--

Raymond Frohlich
Director, Enterprise Systems and Services, Library IT, Yale University Library