[Yale ArchivesSpace] Update from Library IT on ArchivesSpace

Wisner, Melissa melissa.wisner at yale.edu
Mon Jun 29 16:48:17 EDT 2015

Hello,

I'd like to share some updates on the work Library IT is doing to resolve performance issues in ArchivesSpace. This week our mission is learning and doing everything we can about memory allocation. Library IT worked last week to ready a physical server, fiona1, because it had much higher available memory than the virtual machines.

Library IT implemented several recommendations from Lyrasis concerning total amount of memory and how it should be allocated, but our test results are mixed. One recommendation was to update from 128MB of memory to 10GB of memory-that's like walking vs. driving a car. Some procedures noted improvement, others remain the same as on the VMs:

*         EAD download on Minerva-8mins, same EAD download on fiona1-6mins

*         A problem producing a PDF report in production on Friday (Minerva generated an error), worked without incident today on fiona1

*         Editing and adding records takes same amount of time on Minerva and fiona1

I am communicating with Lyrasis and HM every day to keep them informed of what changes we made and what the results are. I am making sure we have solid answers from them. Since the Library is paying HM to conduct a full system analysis, I want them to know what we are doing in parallel.

Library IT is aware of several archival projects and aspects of your general workflow that are on hold, due to the ongoing performance issues with production AS. Resolution remains the top priority. Effort is made each day with the servers and application, to coordinate work and develop a tactical plan for each day, and to share the results. We communicate with the ArchivesSpace committee 3-4 time every day. If you encounter errors or any issues while working in AS, please email them to libraryit.entsys at yale.edu<mailto:libraryit.entsys at yale.edu>  It is important to know what is happening and these are often useful for replicating in the test environment.

Thank you for sticking with us,
Melissa Wisner
Library IT