[Yale ArchivesSpace] Daily Update from Library IT on AS

Wisner, Melissa melissa.wisner at yale.edu
Tue Jun 23 15:56:14 EDT 2015

Hello Everyone,

I was told a story today about a man with a long and unusual name, who has a listserv to alert New England Historical Societies and Archives about all types of weather conditions. Tonite may be one of those days with possible t-storms and strong wind. If you don't mind me sharing, I always think of this line from The Simpsons, from the episode when a hurricane is going to strike Springfield. No one in town takes the warning seriously, especially Homer, who tells Lisa "there is no record of a hurricane ever hitting Springfield." However, Lisa tells Homer "the town records only go back as far as 1978, when the Hall of Records was mysteriously blown away."

Anyway, Library IT has good news about the error report from yesterday regarding editing/saving Accession records. This was resolved in the morning. We disabled some modified SQL queries and that appears to have restored this function to normal (working, but slow). Library IT is following up with the HM folks about the experience we had applying this change to determine if we/they need to tweak it any further, as it was intended to adjust some other aspects of AS work.

Library IT continues to work on configuring the physical hardware we want to move the test MySQL database to, so we can determine if the additional memory improves performance.  This is a high priority effort.

YUL has also heard from HM that they are ready to begin their analysis. Library IT is finishing up the documentation HM requested tonite and tomorrow. We hope to respond quickly to their report recommendations, expected in about 2 weeks.  If their recommendations, and the additional memory on the physical server prove significant, the bigger picture is this experience will benefit many of our colleagues, soon to be in production with AS. YUL would debrief and document this process and what we learned as a result.

Thank you again for your patience. Please send any technical questions or issues to libraryit.entsys at yale.edu<mailto:libraryit.entsys at yale.edu>

Melissa Wisner
Library IT