[NHCOLL-L:2131] lighting in exhibit halls

Dan Brooks dbrooks at hmns.org
Wed Nov 12 16:26:46 EST 2003

Greetings all

We're in the process of re-doing our African Wildlife Hall.  The lighting guy we've contracted wants to use Halogens, and says they won't really harm the specimens as much as any other bulb (except for fluorescents which he says is worse).  We're going to put some filters to cover the overhead lights, but I'd like to get some feedback from the group on how harmful different types of lights are....... I've even heard from one school that direct sunlight is the only thing that will cause fading in your mammals and birds......

any feedback would be most appreciated!

kind thanks
dan brooks

Daniel M. Brooks, Ph.D.