[NHCOLL-L:2645] Re: IATA and China

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Tue May 10 15:49:43 EDT 2005

Jamie and Greg

Yes, we have been told the same thing.  According to our Fed-Ex guy (we
do not have a dangerous goods contract with UPS) they can get the
materials to the airport but then the restrictions come into play when
the materials have to transported within the destination country either
by air or by road freight.  Some countries will not allow transport of
dangerous goods in any quantity by either method.  So, you can get the
material to the international airport in these countries but the
recipient would have to collect them from the courier at the airport -
in some cases this is doable but in others not - I had a package going
to Peru and I could get it to the international airport in Lima but the
recipient lived on the other side of the Andes and understandably was
not prepared to travel 8-10 hours to collect!!!!

It is also true that Fed-Ex does not publish a listing of these
countries that are affected by this, according to them, because the list
changes all the time as countries change their restrictions.  UPS does
have a list but they do mention that you should check with them before
sending anything to ensure that the list is up to date.  I would
presume, seeing as these regulations are laid down by the recipient
country, that these two lists should be identical (and just as
useless!!!).  As a matter of course we now check with Fed-Ex to ensure
that any international package will be accepted by the country in
question.

Hope that helps to clarify the situation

Andy

  _____